Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Youngblood Hawke (Already Labeled - Republic Records)

Youngblood Hawke is a group that has recently been on the rise. I discovered them last September when they opened for Passion Pit at the 9:30 Club.  They walked out on the stage with a bunch of tambourines, the lead singer was in a Hawaiian floral button down shirt, and overall they just didn't look very put together. I have to say my first impression was a little iffy, but obviously I had the wrong impression! I should have known they were good if they were opening for someone as big as Passion Pit. I had never heard of them, but they put on such an amazing show that I had to go listen to their other stuff. I've never seen anyone so alive and full of energy while performing at a small venue. I've been really impressed, and I'll get to see them again at the Firefly Music Festival this June! They were even better live than they are on their recorded tracks, which really illustrates their true talent. Not many bands can play live shows as well as their recorded albums, and even fewer are better live.  Everybody should take a look at their tracks.

"We Come Running"



"Stars"

"Forever"

iTunes calls them an Alternative group, but I find it more of a rock-pop type thing. I distinctly remember a day I was driving over spring break when "Stars" came onto the SiriusXM Alt Nation radio station. I have honestly never coming so close to crashing. My jaw dropped and I couldn't believe that this small group that I had just seen a couple months ago when nobody knew who they were was being played on a big radio station. (This is the same station that first played Atlas Genius! I'll probably have more on that later) They don't have a full-length album out yet, but they do have a self-titled EP, and another EP with some remixes. They also performed at SXSW 2013 last week!

Youngblood Hawke at the 9:30 Club

1 comment: