Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Third Eye Blind at the Celebrate Fairfax Festival

The B-52s were supposed to be the performance for this event on Saturday night, but Third Eye Blind was told the day before the concert that they had been booked due to an illness.  They aren't touring right now, but they flew over to Fairfax from LA to play at the event the band dubbed a "campfire show." It was really fun to watch them perform when there was nothing planned. They played the song requests that people shouted out, and it's obvious that the lead singer is a really weird, but cool guy. Without a staged show, each band member's true personality comes out. I really wish it was possible to see other bands with unprepared shows, but I also don't want to be disappointed by a group I think are really talented, but turn out to just have good shows that someone else organizes.




They're working on an album right now, which they announced will be released in the fall.  Third Eye Blind played two songs they've been working on, "Sherry's a Stoner" and "I Was So High." They said they enjoy playing their new music at the smaller shows to see the reaction and how people like it, and they seemed to enjoy their newer songs too. They didn't say if these tracks would be on their next album or not.

Apparently Sherry is their manager's wife who they just want to make fun of.  They also quickly ranted about why you shouldn't smoke, and played the song while focusing directly on a group of people in the front who were not very inconspicuous about it.

They managed to get me excited about their upcoming album, and I wouldn't have called myself a real Third Eye Blind fan before this show. Sure I knew "Semi-Charmed Life," "Never Let You Go" and "Jumper" but that was it. I can't think of many concerts I've been to that didn't get me loving the band afterwards, and this was no exception. There's just something I love about seeing the band's personality, the way they interact with each other and the fans, and watching them show off some talents that can't be portrayed through headphones.





No comments:

Post a Comment